Nootropics
Nootropics
Nootropics are substances which enhance mental functionality without causing harm.
Nanook

Racetams

Next to good old caffeine, racetams are the oldest and most widely recognized nootropics substance, and Piracetam is the oldest and most well studied of the bunch.  I first started taking piracetam about eight years ago and at that time I was looking for a cognitive benefit, and while I did find some benefits, for example, the first time I took it I then went to a local bar that used to make really good fish and chips (it has sold and they are now shit), it was very busy almost all the tables were occupied.  I noticed subtleties in the color of the wood door that I had never noticed before.  It was as if someone turned the vibrance knob up on the world television set.  The second thing I noticed was that I could follow half a dozen conversations at half a dozen different tables simultaneously.  The last thing was that I could remember a few more digits in a digit string memory test, enough to remember a ten digit telephone number sometimes heard several days before.  But that was about it as far as cognitive benefit, not a lot of practical benefit.  I continued to take it for several months.  Now when I started I had tinnitus that was at times severe enough to interfere with the ability to hear someone talking to me face to face.  But about three months into it I was out for a walk late at night and I was on a street with a cemetery on one side and back yards of houses on the other, and I was hearing a conversation clearly that sounded close by, yet nobody was visible.  I finally spotted the people talking, they were two blocks away!  I had measured my hearing frequency response once before and it rolled off severely after 8Khz, I measured it again, now I could hear all the way up to 17 KHz, I stopped exploding tweeters on my stereo, and the constant whine was gone.  After about a year I stopped talking it and after about three months the tinnitus returned and frequency response started falling off, so I went back to taking it and hearing mostly returned, more attenuation this time between 13Khz and 17Khz, but before I couldn't hear anything past 8KHz so still worth while.  Piracetam is a good starting place, it's non-toxic, or at least not much more than water, table salt is far more toxic.  My recommendation, start at 800mg and work your way up, if you start to notice a positive effect continue raising the dose until you don't get more effect or you reach around 4800mg/day.  If you keep raising beyond that point it will start to lose effect.  Piracetam and all racetams really, have an inverted U response curve.  The goal is to find the top of that inverted U.